ARZA Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that works to represent the views and values of Progressive Jewish Zionists. We work to ensure that Israel lives in peace and security as promised in its Declaration of Independence. We work to strengthen the Progressive Movement in Israel, Australia and worldwide.
Why Join ARZA Australia?
YOU SHOULD JOIN ARZA BECAUSE:
- ARZA (Australian Reform Zionist Association) represents the views of the Australian Reform (Progressive) movement relating to social policies in Israel
- These include trying to break the monopoly of the orthodox rabbinate on matters like civil marriage and divorce, equality for women, access to the Kotel, and state salaries for Progressive rabbis
- ARZA does this by sending delegates to participate in the meetings of the World Zionist Congress, which represents the diaspora in Israel and has considerable influence with members of the Knesset
- ARZA has strength in Israeli forums because of its weight of numbers. Our voting power is directly related to the number of members we have.
- If we can build our membership numbers, we will increase our influence
- ARZA also gives financial support to Australian youth through grants to Netzer and young people undertaking leadership studies and training
- ARZA does not get involved in internal Israeli politics or its foreign affairs.
- Membership fee is only $18 per person a year. This is less than a cup of coffee a month.
- ARZA membership is strongly supported by the Moetza, the association of Australian Progressive rabbis, and by your own synagogue Board
Please add $18 for each person over 18 years of age in your family to your synagogue membership invoice and help us to keep the Progressive voice strong in Israel.
News and Events
An update of the Israel Religious Action Centre’s activities for the Progressive Jewish Movement Dear friends, Many of you will recall the visit in March 2019 of Orly Erez-Likhovski, from the Progressive Movement’s Israel Religious Action Center. Below is an update reporting IRAC’s huge impact in correcting many of the social and religious ills affecting life in Israel over the last year.” There’s a lot of exciting news to share with you. Every [...]
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Notice is hereby given that in accordance with the provisions of the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) the Annual General Meeting of the Australian Reform Zionist of Association Inc. (ARZA) will be held at 4:00 p.m. on Friday 8 November 2019 at the Ibis Hotel, Adelaide, South Australia. AGENDA Attendance Apologies Adoption of the minutes of the AGM held on Thursday 15 November 2018. Matters arising. President’s [...]
The UPJ Biennial, held in Melbourne, Australia on 15-18 November, hosted more than 220 attendees from around the UPJ region (which covers Australia, New Zealand, and Asia), with additional representatives from the UK, Israel, and the USA. The program, themed “Making Progress” and furthering the work begun at our previous Biennial with Dr. Ron Wolfson, featured Rabbi Dr. Lawrence A Hoffman as the scholar-in-residence. Rabbi Larry led inspiring plenary sessions titled “How We Pray is [...]
Watch the live stream of Steve Denenberg in debate; ‘Whose wall is it? The battle for the soul of the State of Israel’
Click here to view the live stream.
Chanukah, which means “dedication,” is the festival that commemorates the purification and rededication of the Temple following the Greek occupation of that holy place. Today, the holiday reminds Jews to rededicate themselves to keeping alive the flame of Jewish religion, culture, and peoplehood so that it may be passed on to the next generation. Today there are those in Israel seeking to extinguish the diversity of Jewish life by claiming that “there is only [...]
ARZA Australia's Annual General Meeting is coming up on Thursday 15 November 2018 at the Novatel Hotel, St. Kilda, Victoria. Please click here to view ARZA Australia's Annual Report.