ARZA Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that works to represent the views and values of Progressive Jewish Zionists. We work to ensure that Israel lives in peace and security as promised in its Declaration of Independence. We work to strengthen the Progressive Movement in Israel, Australia and worldwide.
Why Join ARZA Australia?
YOU SHOULD JOIN ARZA BECAUSE:
- ARZA (Australian Reform Zionist Association) represents the views of the Australian Reform (Progressive) movement relating to social policies in Israel
- These include trying to break the monopoly of the orthodox rabbinate on matters like civil marriage and divorce, equality for women, access to the Kotel, and state salaries for Progressive rabbis
- ARZA does this by sending delegates to participate in the meetings of the World Zionist Congress, which represents the diaspora in Israel and has considerable influence with members of the Knesset
- ARZA has strength in Israeli forums because of its weight of numbers. Our voting power is directly related to the number of members we have.
- If we can build our membership numbers, we will increase our influence
- ARZA also gives financial support to Australian youth through grants to Netzer and young people undertaking leadership studies and training
- ARZA does not get involved in internal Israeli politics or its foreign affairs.
- Membership fee is only $18 per person a year. This is less than a cup of coffee a month.
- ARZA membership is strongly supported by the Moetza, the association of Australian Progressive rabbis, and by your own synagogue Board
Please add $18 for each person over 18 years of age in your family to your synagogue membership invoice and help us to keep the Progressive voice strong in Israel.
News and Events
Chag Chanukah sameach! Kislev 5780 / December 2019 May this festival of lights reflect our commitment to bring our Jewish light to the world. Wishing you and your family Happy Chanukah! The UPJ Executive and Staff David Knoll AM and Brian Samuel OAM, Co-Presidents Roger Mendelson, Immediate Past President Helen Shardey, Vice-President Sally Castle, Honorary Treasurer Larry Lockshin, Honorary Secretary Committee: Trevor Creewel, Sharon Davis, Judi Hall, Associate Professor Joshua Keller, Marsha Rosenberg, Franklin Tate [...]
Helen Shardey, President of ARZA, David Knoll Co President of UPJ and Gusti Yehoshua-Braverman, head of the Wold Zionist Organization’s Department of Diaspora Affairs had the great pleasure of attending the ceremony to award the Prime Minister, Scott Morrison the Jerusalem Prize for his enormous contribution and support for the Jewish Community and Israel. The ceremony took place at the Intercontinental Hotel at Double Bay in Sydney on November 21. The Prime Minister’s speech was [...]
ANNUAL REPORT JULY 2018 – JUNE 2019 COUNCIL OF MANAGEMENT President: Steve Denenberg (NSW) Immediate Past President: Barbara Ford (NSW) Vice President: Caryn Granek (Victoria) Vice President: Honorary Secretary: Honorary Treasurer: Tony Leverton (Queensland) Committee members: Alexandra Knopoff (SA) Dudu Gotleib (NSW Community Shaliach) Helen Shardey (Victoria) Joanne Loewy-Irons (Victoria) Sefi Shalem (Victoria Community Shaliach) Nancye Kochen (Mazkira, Netzer Australia) Rabbi Adi Cohen (Moetzah representative) Rabbi David Kunin (Moetzah representative) Honorary Solicitor: [...]
The past few weeks has been an exciting, if hectic, time for ARZA Australia, culminating in the election of a new President and Executive Committee at the AGM held in Adelaide on November 9. Led by former Victorian Parliamentarian, Helen Shardey, the new Committee offers a wonderful combination of experience and youth that is sure to serve the organization well as it prepares for the possibility of elections ahead of the 38th World Zionist Congress [...]
An update of the Israel Religious Action Centre’s activities for the Progressive Jewish Movement Dear friends, Many of you will recall the visit in March 2019 of Orly Erez-Likhovski, from the Progressive Movement’s Israel Religious Action Center. Below is an update reporting IRAC’s huge impact in correcting many of the social and religious ills affecting life in Israel over the last year.” There’s a lot of exciting news to share with you. Every [...]
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Notice is hereby given that in accordance with the provisions of the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) the Annual General Meeting of the Australian Reform Zionist of Association Inc. (ARZA) will be held at 4:00 p.m. on Friday 8 November 2019 at the Ibis Hotel, Adelaide, South Australia. AGENDA Attendance Apologies Adoption of the minutes of the AGM held on Thursday 15 November 2018. Matters arising. President’s [...]