ARZA Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that works to represent the views and values of Progressive Jewish Zionists. We work to ensure that Israel lives in peace and security as promised in its Declaration of Independence. We work to strengthen the Progressive Movement in Israel, Australia and worldwide.
Why Join ARZA Australia?
YOU SHOULD JOIN ARZA BECAUSE:
- ARZA (Australian Reform Zionist Association) represents the views of the Australian Reform (Progressive) movement relating to social policies in Israel
- These include trying to break the monopoly of the orthodox rabbinate on matters like civil marriage and divorce, equality for women, access to the Kotel, and state salaries for Progressive rabbis
- ARZA does this by sending delegates to participate in the meetings of the World Zionist Congress, which represents the diaspora in Israel and has considerable influence with members of the Knesset
- ARZA has strength in Israeli forums because of its weight of numbers. Our voting power is directly related to the number of members we have.
- If we can build our membership numbers, we will increase our influence
- ARZA also gives financial support to Australian youth through grants to Netzer and young people undertaking leadership studies and training
- ARZA does not get involved in internal Israeli politics or its foreign affairs.
- Membership fee is only $18 per person a year. This is less than a cup of coffee a month.
- ARZA membership is strongly supported by the Moetza, the association of Australian Progressive rabbis, and by your own synagogue Board
Please add $18 for each person over 18 years of age in your family to your synagogue membership invoice and help us to keep the Progressive voice strong in Israel.
News and Events
The role of the Progressive Jewish Movement world wide in supporting the Progressive movement in Israel is fundamental to the recognition of Progressive/Reform Judaism in the State of Israel, our Jewish homeland. This has been brought home with the recent IRAC announcement that for the first time in Israeli history, the Israeli government will fund Reform and Conservative rabbis in cities and metropolitan areas. While sadly the salaries allocated to Progressive and Conservative Rabbis [...]
As Australia suffers the tragedy of bushfires, we know that we are not alone. Help has come from all over the world, including from our brothers and sisters in Israel. This proves that while we have been there for the State of Israel since its inception, Israel is also there for us. A beautiful article today talked of an Israeli Australian, devastated at the sight of our severely injured native Australian wildlife said to [...]
ARZA Australia joins with the Union for Progressive Judaism, all the members of the Assembly of Rabbis and Cantors of Australia, New Zealand and Asia and the entire Progressive Jewish world to express our sadness and mourn the passing of Rabbi Brian Fox AM z”l.Rabbi Fox was a leading light in the Australian Progressive Jewish community.Prior to serving as Senior Rabbi at Emanuel Synagogue for 20 years he served the congregations of the Leo Beck [...]
Chag Chanukah sameach! Kislev 5780 / December 2019 May this festival of lights reflect our commitment to bring our Jewish light to the world. Wishing you and your family Happy Chanukah! The UPJ Executive and Staff David Knoll AM and Brian Samuel OAM, Co-Presidents Roger Mendelson, Immediate Past President Helen Shardey, Vice-President Sally Castle, Honorary Treasurer Larry Lockshin, Honorary Secretary Committee: Trevor Creewel, Sharon Davis, Judi Hall, Associate Professor Joshua Keller, Marsha Rosenberg, Franklin Tate [...]
Helen Shardey, President of ARZA, David Knoll Co President of UPJ and Gusti Yehoshua-Braverman, head of the Wold Zionist Organization’s Department of Diaspora Affairs had the great pleasure of attending the ceremony to award the Prime Minister, Scott Morrison the Jerusalem Prize for his enormous contribution and support for the Jewish Community and Israel. The ceremony took place at the Intercontinental Hotel at Double Bay in Sydney on November 21. The Prime Minister’s speech was [...]
ANNUAL REPORT JULY 2018 – JUNE 2019 COUNCIL OF MANAGEMENT President: Steve Denenberg (NSW) Immediate Past President: Barbara Ford (NSW) Vice President: Caryn Granek (Victoria) Vice President: Honorary Secretary: Honorary Treasurer: Tony Leverton (Queensland) Committee members: Alexandra Knopoff (SA) Dudu Gotleib (NSW Community Shaliach) Helen Shardey (Victoria) Joanne Loewy-Irons (Victoria) Sefi Shalem (Victoria Community Shaliach) Nancye Kochen (Mazkira, Netzer Australia) Rabbi Adi Cohen (Moetzah representative) Rabbi David Kunin (Moetzah representative) Honorary Solicitor: [...]