ARZA Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that works to represent the views and values of Progressive Jewish Zionists. We work to ensure that Israel lives in peace and security as promised in its Declaration of Independence. We work to strengthen the Progressive Movement in Israel, Australia and worldwide.
Why Join ARZA Australia?
YOU SHOULD JOIN ARZA BECAUSE:
- ARZA (Australian Reform Zionist Association) represents the views of the Australian Reform (Progressive) movement relating to social policies in Israel
- These include trying to break the monopoly of the orthodox rabbinate on matters like civil marriage and divorce, equality for women, access to the Kotel, and state salaries for Progressive rabbis
- ARZA does this by sending delegates to participate in the meetings of the World Zionist Congress, which represents the diaspora in Israel and has considerable influence with members of the Knesset
- ARZA has strength in Israeli forums because of its weight of numbers. Our voting power is directly related to the number of members we have.
- If we can build our membership numbers, we will increase our influence
- ARZA also gives financial support to Australian youth through grants to Netzer and young people undertaking leadership studies and training
- ARZA does not get involved in internal Israeli politics or its foreign affairs.
- Membership fee is only $18 per person a year. This is less than a cup of coffee a month.
- ARZA membership is strongly supported by the Moetza, the association of Australian Progressive rabbis, and by your own synagogue Board
Please add $18 for each person over 18 years of age in your family to your synagogue membership invoice and help us to keep the Progressive voice strong in Israel.
News and Events
The UPJ Biennial, held in Melbourne, Australia on 15-18 November, hosted more than 220 attendees from around the UPJ region (which covers Australia, New Zealand, and Asia), with additional representatives from the UK, Israel, and the USA. The program, themed “Making Progress” and furthering the work begun at our previous Biennial with Dr. Ron Wolfson, featured Rabbi Dr. Lawrence A Hoffman as the scholar-in-residence. Rabbi Larry led inspiring plenary sessions titled “How We Pray is [...]
Watch the live stream of Steve Denenberg in debate; ‘Whose wall is it? The battle for the soul of the State of Israel’
Click here to view the live stream.
Chanukah, which means “dedication,” is the festival that commemorates the purification and rededication of the Temple following the Greek occupation of that holy place. Today, the holiday reminds Jews to rededicate themselves to keeping alive the flame of Jewish religion, culture, and peoplehood so that it may be passed on to the next generation. Today there are those in Israel seeking to extinguish the diversity of Jewish life by claiming that “there is only [...]
ARZA Australia's Annual General Meeting is coming up on Thursday 15 November 2018 at the Novatel Hotel, St. Kilda, Victoria. Please click here to view ARZA Australia's Annual Report.
STOPPING THE SLIPPERY SLOPE The work of ARZA and its global organisation, ARZENU, has become even more important in trying to maintain Israel as an inclusive and democratic State as Israel’s Government moves increasingly to the Right, allows the Ultra-Orthodox groups ever-increasing resources and power, and increasingly puts the concept of a “Jewish” state before the protection of the State as a democracy. Without calling the Nation State Law a step towards apartheid it [...]
April Newsletter A Yom Ha'atzmaut message from the World Zionist Organisation Dear Friends, The State of Israel is one of the greatest accomplishments of the Jewish people throughout history. The Zionist movement did the extraordinary and brought the Jewish people back to their land after 2,000 years of exile. When we are asked to summarize this chapter of the first 70 years, we must remember and cherish all those who contributed to the building [...]