ARZA Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that works to represent the views and values of Progressive Jewish Zionists. We work to ensure that Israel lives in peace and security as promised in its Declaration of Independence. We work to strengthen the Progressive Movement in Israel, Australia and worldwide.
Why Join ARZA Australia?
YOU SHOULD JOIN ARZA BECAUSE:
- ARZA (Australian Reform Zionist Association) represents the views of the Australian Reform (Progressive) movement relating to social policies in Israel
- These include trying to break the monopoly of the orthodox rabbinate on matters like civil marriage and divorce, equality for women, access to the Kotel, and state salaries for Progressive rabbis
- ARZA does this by sending delegates to participate in the meetings of the World Zionist Congress, which represents the diaspora in Israel and has considerable influence with members of the Knesset
- ARZA has strength in Israeli forums because of its weight of numbers. Our voting power is directly related to the number of members we have.
- If we can build our membership numbers, we will increase our influence
- ARZA also gives financial support to Australian youth through grants to Netzer and young people undertaking leadership studies and training
- ARZA does not get involved in internal Israeli politics or its foreign affairs.
- Membership fee is only $18 per person a year. This is less than a cup of coffee a month.
- ARZA membership is strongly supported by the Moetza, the association of Australian Progressive rabbis, and by your own synagogue Board
Please add $18 for each person over 18 years of age in your family to your synagogue membership invoice and help us to keep the Progressive voice strong in Israel.
News and Events
While the world is desperately trying to deal with the spread of COVID-19, scientists are working to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus that can be adapted to be suitable for humans. It has been reported that the MIGAL Galilee Research Institute, with funds from the Israeli Ministry of Science and Technology and with Israel’s Ministry of Agriculture has achieved a scientific breakthrough that may well lead to the rapid creation of a vaccine. [...]
If you wish to have a say in how Progressive Jews are recognized and treated in Israel, please ensure you are a member of ARZA which will represent the Australian Progressive Movement in Israel at this year’s World Zionist Congress in October. You can join ARZA when renewing your Synagogue membership or join on line by clicking the button below. The greater the membership of the Australian Reform/Progressive Zionist Association, the more delegates Australia [...]
The Union for Progressive Judaism held its planning weekend in Sydney recently on 14-16 February, 2020. The planning weekend was attended by the full executive of the UPJ, led by Co-Presidents David Knoll and Brian Samuel, ARZA Australia President Helen Shardey, who is also Vice-President of the UPJ, and Rabbi David Kunin, the Chair of the Assembly of Rabbis and Cantors of Australia New Zealand and Asia (ARC, formerly known as the "Moetzah"). An in-depth discussion [...]
As we celebrate the Jewish holiday of Tu BiSh’vat or the New Year of Trees, we think of new beginnings, strong growth and the fruit of our labors being our reward. The sense of new beginnings does remind me of the emergence of the State of Israel from its ancient history with Judaism at its core. As Alex Ryvchin said in writing about Zionism (it) achieved the unprecedented return of an ancient, persecuted, scattered [...]
The role of the Progressive Jewish Movement world wide in supporting the Progressive movement in Israel is fundamental to the recognition of Progressive/Reform Judaism in the State of Israel, our Jewish homeland. This has been brought home with the recent IRAC announcement that for the first time in Israeli history, the Israeli government will fund Reform and Conservative rabbis in cities and metropolitan areas. While sadly the salaries allocated to Progressive and Conservative Rabbis [...]
As Australia suffers the tragedy of bushfires, we know that we are not alone. Help has come from all over the world, including from our brothers and sisters in Israel. This proves that while we have been there for the State of Israel since its inception, Israel is also there for us. A beautiful article today talked of an Israeli Australian, devastated at the sight of our severely injured native Australian wildlife said to [...]